- 2 slices of Allinson’s The Champion
- 50g grated parmesan cheese
- Black pepper
- A little grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- Good grind of black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 1 celery stick, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tin of white cannellini beans, drained
- 1 pint / 586 ml of good chicken or vegetable stock
- Handful of ripe cherry tomatoes
- Juice of half a small lemon
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- Pinch of flaked sea salt (optional)
- Large fistful of roughly chopped fresh basil
- In a small food processor blitz the bread slices to fine crumbs before adding the egg, parmesan and pinch of grated nutmeg.
- Blitz until a light paste is formed, and place in the fridge until needed.
- Chop the onion and in a medium saucepan and sauté it in the olive oil with the celery, carrot, ground coriander, and bay leaf.
- After 12 minutes or when tender, add the garlic and black pepper and continue to cook for a further minute.
- Add the stock and the drained beans to the vegetables and simmer. Season and leave to simmer slowly.
- Chop the tomato fairly finely and put in a bowl with the salt (optional), lemon juice and the chopped basil and stir this in too.
- Take the bread mix out of the fridge. Roll the bread mix into 12 balls just a little larger than marbles.
- Gently lower them into the soup, simmer for 3- 4 minutes.
- Carefully spoon the dumplings into a bowl with the vegetables and stock.
- Finish with a little spoon of the tomatoes and basil into the middle.