For the chickpeas;
- 400g can chickpeas, drained
- 1 tsp rapeseed oil
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1/2 tsp cumin seed
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Salt and pepper
For the aubergine
- 1 small aubergine sliced lengthways about 3mm thick
- 2 tsp harissa paste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the raita;
- 75g plant based natural yogurt
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- 15cm piece cucumber, grated and squeezed to remove most of the juice
- 10 mint leaves, chopped
For the sandwich;
- 2 good handfuls spinach and rocket leaves
- 4 slices Allinson’s Champion Wholemeal bread
- To prepare the chickpeas, preheat the oven to 200C/fan180C/gas mark 6. Pat dry the chickpeas with some kitchen paper. Mix together the dried chickpeas, sesame seeds, garlic, spices and rapeseed oil in a bowl then spread out on a lined baking tray and roast for around 20 minutes until golden. Cool slightly before using.
- For the aubergine layer, mix together the harissa and olive oil and brush this on one side of the aubergine slices. Lay in a single layer on a lined baking tray and roast alongside the chickpeas for 10 minutes before turning, brushing the other side and giving them another 5 minutes, until cooked and beginning to char.
- For the raita simply mix together the natural yoghurt, garlic, cucumber and mint in a small bowl.
- To build your sandwiches spread all the slices of bread with some raita. Top two with the spinach and rocket leaves, scatter over a couple of tbsp of the chickpeas, add a few slices of aubergine, then add your top slice and serve.
Top tip - try this with warm chickpeas and aubergine or let them cool, great either way!
There will be more chickpeas than you can easily fit in your sandwich but they keep well, once cooled, in an airtight container for a 2-3 days and make a great snack.